January 11, 2009

Known Languages >= 30

Morgan fanned the cards down in front of him. “Gin.”

Michael chided, “That's it. I'm not playing with you anymore.”

“Well, we can play chess.”

“Chess? You can map out twenty moves in advance. No.”

“How can someone who can permutate market drift to the hour for three months have a problem seeing six moves ahead in chess?”

Michael emphatically shrugged “I don't know. Something in my head can't do that for little wooden pieces on the board. I can't abstract them.”

Morgan's head bobbled slightly as he thought. “Backgammon?”

“No, Othello?”

“I can think twenty moves in advance in almost anything. It's how I was trained to think. I can't shut it off. Checkers?”

“Well, I do advanced planning at work but it is just work. Improvisational music?”

“Maybe if you knew Bartok.”

“It's improvisational.”

“But your phrasing is...”

“Jazz-oriented.”

“Monopoly?”

“Are you going to make origami out of the money again?”

“Well the braille stamper rips the bills.”

“Diplomacy?”

“Isn't that a misnomer for a game that is random world war?”

“You're thinking of Risk, which also doesn't seem accurately named, come to think of it. Diplomacy is backstabbing in attempts to avert the random world war.”

“Why are these activities not fun anymore?”

Michael sighed. He knew why, but decided feigning ignorance would be better then pointing out the truth. Then his face lit up. “Aaaah... Scrabble, with no language restrictions.”

Morgan looked quizzical for half a second, before smiling wickedly. “Game on.”

No comments: