January 13, 2009

Secrets to be Kept

Morgan seemed to be talking to himself. The behavior was common in Michael, but Morgan wasn't known for being very verbal. Michael came around to find Morgan talking into a small device in his hand. Morgan finished his conversation and put it down. Michael cleared his throat. Morgan quickly palmed the device.

“What was that?”

“It's a new gadget. It's called a cellular phone.”

Michael vocally nodded. “I've heard of them. Why do you have one?”

“Think about my profession.”

Michael nodded again. “I can hardly believe you actually went out and bought one.”

“I didn't.”

Michael voiced confusion.

“I know someone who understands electronics. A half-elf by lineage and cybermancer by trade.”

“Cybermancer?”

“He understands electronics at a very deep level. Computers are like life waiting to be awakened into a collective consciousness, he says.”

Michael blinked uncomprehendingly. Morgan asked, “Are you speechless?”

Michael nodded. “I don't... can't fathom a machine with consciousness of any kind.”

“He says it has already begun. He referred to something called arpanet.”

“What's his primary?”

“Electricity as enhancement. He has very fine-tuned control. He uses it to talk to the machines. He calls it interfacing.”

“Why do you know him?”

“I use him to get information that would be hard to get through normal means. What he does is similar to wiretapping, but with electronic information.”

“That can't be legal.”

“I imagine not, but I know of no laws against it. Yet.”

“So, who is this cybermancer?”

“Well, his offworld name is Andras. I'm not revealing any more.”

No comments: