January 10, 2009

Free Association

“Humans often portray their fears of war through the mythos of a war between heaven and hell. While such a war, like any, would be disastrous on many fronts, it belies the true nature of the cosmos. Interdimensional war is no small skirmish, it requires power on a level beyond comprehension to those of us whose main goal is to find a decent bagel before nine in the morning. Unfortunately, such a war is coming. I can sense it in my bones and death, destruction and unmaking will follow in its wake. Whether we will play a role in this coming struggle of chaos and entropy, I do not yet know.”

“The answer is: Yes, we will play a role. I have already been tapped by beings advanced enough to be called gods and powerful enough that I have to tread carefully in my dealings.”

“I fear what this implies. I fear what this means.”

“Change, of course. It always brings change. It may also bring my final death.”

“I hear the siren song to be involved as well. I do not want to leave you or here, but I'm inexorably drawn to the front of the storm.”

“Then go with me, you would be involved and we would not be apart and you could ride the storm the way you love.”

“Indeed, but what of our lives here?”

“We are becoming greater than our mortal shells. And we must either accept we are greater beings or die expediently as mortals.”

“Perhaps, I should choose the expedient death.”

“You won't die fast enough.”

No comments: