January 31, 2009

The Ripple Rebounds

Precedent: A Pebble in Still Water

Year 27: Michael watched Nadine eat rapaciously. He idly wondered if she was nourished well enough for her condition. Their two girls had long lost interest in this stranger who was their mother and left for their playroom. Nadine finally looked up from the table at Michael. “Sorry, I'm a complete pig, I know.”

“You don't have to apologize for being hungry. If there's anything you want to discuss, feel free.”

“I dunno. How ya been?”

“I have been doing well,” Michael stated plainly. “But I think you could guess that.” Michael gestured to indicate the building around them.

“Yeah, why are we in a museum?”

“It's not a museum. This is where I live. It's called Castle Wallace.”

Nadine seemed mildly intimidated. “Castle Wallace... how do you find your bedroom every night?”

Michael laughed lightly. “I grew up here. I'm used to it.”

“I'm surprised you remembered me.”

“I cohabited with you for a over a year. We have two children. It would be hard to forget you.”

“I hope I didn't turn you off of havin' kids.”

“The better question is did I turn you off one night stands?”

“Nope, never.”

“So, neither of us has learned? I actually adopted a son.”

“Oh, so you're married?”

Michael stood and went to a side buffet and uncapped a decanter. He shook his head noisily as he poured himself a glass of dark liquid. The room's only light was a large twelve stick candelabra. He took a sip before returning to his seat and continuing. “I haven't married yet. I have been betrothed to someone, but I haven't met her.”

Nadine sniffed. “All those years ago, I was gonna to roll you before you left, but you... impressed me.”

“If you wanted cash, I would have given you some. Two or three hundred is what I spend on dinner.”

“I often slipped a guy a little tongue, then picked his pocket and left. I still do sometimes. I'da been an awful mother. Wait, this was worth a couple hundred?”

Michael refocused the conversation. “You don't have to live like that anymore. I'm willing to offer you palimony.”

“Is that like alimony?”

“Yes, only for ex-partners rather than ex-spouses. I'm willing to let you live in the castle village. I'm sure my brother wouldn't have a problem with that.”

“I wanted to take my children and go somewhere with them.”

“Go somewhere? Why not stay here and spend time with them?”

“You've had them for how long now? I'd like them to know me.”

“Then, let them. But, considering your past and their potential and your admittance that you'd make an awful mother, I think they would do better here.”

Nadine snorted. “How much potential could my kids have?”

Michael firmly put his hand on Nadine's shoulder. “Nicole is brilliant and dynamic. She is going to be a leader and a scholar. She is going to whatever university she wants and will probably be greater someday than I am now. Krystie is frailer and needs more attention than you were wont to give. I think you drank too much when you were pregnant.”

“I don't remember them bein' that way.”

“They weren't even six when you disappeared suddenly. And I don't think you're going to win a custody dispute with me.”

No comments: