January 26, 2009

Might or Right?

“You!”

Morgan carefully sheathed a decorative dagger and tossed it on his pallet. The voice belonged to the prince consort of the court of mages. “Yes, your excellency?”

“You should address me as-.”

“I will address you by the title you earned. Get to the point.”

“I outrank you.”

Morgan turned towards Eldin. “I am the twin elder brother of the Principal of the Scafir. By birth, I outrank you.”

“I'm a prince.”

“You are a prince consort.”

“Damn you!”

“Get to the point.”

“Your brother is a freaking idiot.”

Morgan reflexively smacked Eldin. His hand came to rest on the opposite hip. “My brother outranks me. You will address him with respect, too.”

Eldin looked about ready to haul off his prodigioius strength and fire spells on Morgan but controlled himself. A small trickle of blood fell from his nostril.

“Get to the point.”

“Why did we catch him fornicating with my wife?”

“Because of the compulsion charm that Stephen placed on her. You need not worry about the charm anymore. I removed it.”

“Are you stupid?”

Morgan was still utterly calm. “No.”

Fire danced across Eldin's knuckles. “So, your brother is a weak-minded, freaking idiot.”

Morgan brought his hand back around, knuckles leading. Eldin's other nostril started leaking blood. Under one eye, a patch started silvering. Morgan took a cloth from his pocket and wiped the fluid off his hand. “Do you have anything else to say, your excellency?”

“My wife is a whore...”

Morgan grasped him around the throat and started squeezing. “What was that?”

“Morgan, stop.” Valerie's voice was soft, but firm. She placed a hand on his elbow.

“Your Majesty. My apologies for strangling your dear husband.” It was unusual to hear him drip sarcasm. Morgan let go and Eldin sank to his knees, gasping. “Do you have anything else to say, Prince Eldin?”

Still clutching his throat, he spat, “May you rot in stasis.”

“Your wife is a brilliant, intelligent, beautiful woman and you will apologize to her.”

The string of invectives would have been impressive if they had shown any variety. He finished up with “My wife is a whore like you.”

Valerie let loose an electrical arc. Eldin twitched on the ground and sputtered “I'm sorry” before Morgan saved him from cardiac arrest.

No comments: