January 04, 2009

Trauma Magica

Michael stepped out of Morgan's dressing area with a fading scar on one wrist. His brother was absent. Michael was unsure how they'd gotten separated but he'd been forewarned of the possibility and decided that Morgan's instruction to go home if that happened best be followed. Well, a minor sidestop in the fighting pits wouldn't make much of a difference. He'd take a day or three to heal and then head back home. The only sign was a thin red line on his left hand that ran up his arm. It could be covered with cosmetics.

“Dad, where were you?”

Michael's heart sank. “Nicole? What are you doing in here?”

“I think I asked first.”

Michael bit back the sarcastic remark that came to mind. “Mind your attitude.”

Nicole snorted. “I followed you in here to ask you about going to the Guggenheim. You walked into the bathroom with Uncle Morgan, then disappeared. If you won't let us do magic, why are you doing it?”

“I told you, it's hard to give up.”

“And where's Uncle Morgan?”

“Not with me.”

“You lost him in ten minutes?”

Michael plotted out his answer. The words unrolled slowly from his mouth. “To you, I've been gone a few minutes. I've actually experienced half a week.”

Nicole stared at him in disbelief. “Wait, so you can actually decide when you come back?”

“Yes.”

“How?”

Michael closed his eyes and inhaled deeply through his nose. “Magic works because one believes in it. That's about the best answer I can give.”

“So, are you much older than you look?”

Michael raised an eyebrow. “I've never considered that... but it hardly matters, as my maternal genes mean I'm going to live to be two or three hundred years old.”

Nicole looked astonished. “And I have these genes too?!”

“I'm going to regret teaching you two anything resembling magic.”

“But you'll teach us?” The hug and puppy dog eyes left Michael wondering where his backbone was. He sighed.

“I will teach you, but you will exercise discretion and restraint or I'll seal your minds from it.”

“Thank you, Daddy!”

“Lesson number one: Be careful what you wish for...” He placed his hand on her forehead and psychically ripped her mind open.

No comments: