January 01, 2009

When the Call Comes, Let the Answering Machine Get It

After the wedding and coronation, the two brothers came forward to pay respects. Valerie cracked a smile finally as they approached. Michael made a nod to Georg and he joined them. As they stopped close enough for Michael and George to shake her hand, Morgan took a distinct step away and quarter-turned.

Michael and George said simultaneously, “Welcome to the Apexis Council.”

Valerie looked at one, then the other. “Apexis Council?”

Michael nodded. “The council consists of the spiritual leaders of each major race. And you have just reached that moment for the Magir.”

Georg added, “It's not a formal organization, but a preternatural assignation. A sort of 'chosen one' club.”

“And how am I a chosen one?”

Michael shook his head. “We don't know how we qualified, either. We just know when a new member is added. Which is not often.”

Georg said, “This probably portends something profound is going to happen in the near future.”

Valerie looked unimpressed. “You mean, like how you told me I was the harbinger of the apocolypse.”

Georg looked at Michael. Michael looked down a moment before meeting her eyes again. “The Court made that declaration. I just read it to you. The Magir aren't know for their taste for divination, so I question how they knew.”

Georg noted, “You could always check it yourself, Michael. You're a diviner.”

Michael said with distaste, “Let's not abuse the notion. There's a reason why my race prefers it as a means of awakening.” Turning back to Valerie, “Divination can be, um, traumatizing to the diviner.”

Valerie pressed her lips together. “I think this would be one of those things I should know.”

Michael resigningly shrugged while nodding agreement. “I need sunlight, clean water, a bowl, and your blood... I don't know which I fear more, the prophesy being true or the mages being wrong.”

No comments: