December 20, 2008

Michael's Wish, part 8

“Fifteen foot tree in the reception hall. Fir garlands bordering the banisters, trim, and wainscot. Wreaths in the grand halls and rooms. Winter formal decorations in the main ballroom. Annual payments for Boxing Day. Servents gifts wrapped and placed. Company holiday party...”

Michael paused to sip on his glass of wine then continued down the list. Satisfied, he looked over at Morgan who was spending the pre-holiday mostly reading. “Are you reading anything in particular?”

“I am reading the news.”

“And what's on the iPod?”

“Newscasts.”

Michael furrowed a brow. “Do you want my laptop for newsfeeds, too?”

“I also have the local charity cases and hospitals to visit.”

Margaret clucked at both of them. “You two are being rude reading at the dinner table. And Morgan what are you planning on doing for fun this season?”

“I plan on singing.”

Claire rolled her eyes. “Is that all? I guess when all you are is an in-”

Morgan stood up. “Excuse me, I am finished.”

After he'd left, Michael made a keening sound. “Guilting him won't work. Pestering him won't work. So now you've resorted to making insoucient remarks so that he has a tangible reason not to be here?”

Margaret put down her fork. “I merely thought talking about it wouldn't upset him.”

Claire snarked, “I knew it would.”

Michael nervously ran his hand through his hair. “It takes a lot of patience to learn how to wend your way through to getting him to open up. Few have determinedly stayed the course. If you're not willing to put in the long effort, don't sabotage mine.”

Claire snorted lightly. “Sitting on a cold dungeon floor while singing drunk is hardly putting in an effort.”

Michael stood himself. “It's not from me he's hiding. And he was happily singing drunk. He was smiling singing drunk. So, yes, I think my effort was worth it. And mind your language around the children. Emotional blackmail is not something I want them to learn.”

No comments: