December 16, 2008

Michael's Wish, part 5

“Your wife thinks you're being inconsiderate by not joining us,” Michael said without preamble.

“My wife says many things I would give little weight,” Morgan responded.

“Well, unfortunately, my wife, mistress, and all my children agree with her, as do I,” Michael added.

“So has the situation downgraded from a smile on Christmas Day?”

Michael almost laughed. “Yes, they want you to be here for at least four hours and the children... the children have to see you.”

Morgan gave no obvious reaction. Michael did see the corner of his mouth vacillate downwards. “And are you merely relaying or demanding?”

“I am not demanding anything Morgan. You may have some byzantine reason for never being here that even I may not comprehend. If you truly don't want to be here, don't be.”

Michael reached for his brother's hand and clasped it in both of his. “Father can't be here for you any more, Morgan, but I am. I love you and will welcome you home every time you go away, just like Dad did. And those children upstairs love you, too. Maybe not the same way, but they care about you. I'm not sure Nicole and Krystie are convinced yet that you're not Santa.”

Morgan's face betrayed incomprehension. Michael laughed lightly. “They were convinced when they were little that was the reason you were gone every Christmas. That you were bringing happiness to children around the world.”

Morgan laughed uncomfortably and hugged Michael close, then planted a kiss on his cheek. “They remind me of their father,” he said.

No comments: