November 29, 2008

Can't Go Back

Year 39: Michael seemed agitated. “Just how much have I forgotton? I really can't remember much about you.”

Morgan sat at his desk and stated plainly, “It is normal to come back with all traumatic memories lost. I was one fairly long traumatic memory.”

“I didn't think you would just walk away without contesting some right to stay.”

“I have none.”

Margaret interrupted, “You are the baron?”

Morgan flatly said, “Yes, I was. That is all to which I have right. It is a title. All the baronial power rests in your husband.”

Michael merely shook his head, “That makes no sense.”

Morgan turned to a safe and his fingers delicately turned the lock. When it opened, he pulled out a large docket folder. His fingers danced over braille tabs. He pulled out a sheaf of papers and pushed them towards Michael. Michael's eyes picked up the line “I, Morgan Andrew Charles Wallace, of unsound mind...” and he carefully picked up the document and scanned through it, flipping the pages in silent wonderment.

Michael placed it back down. His voice was quiet, introspective. “You signed over all powers of attorney to me the day we reached majority.”

“Yes,” Morgan said. “All powers. Financial, marital, baronial, you even have power over my reproductive rights. Which, if misused, basically means you can claim everything I own, everything I earn, any children I bring forth, as your own.”

“What would make you sign this?”

“I was, and still am, insane. It never got cleared off my medical records that I wasn't, so, by medical and state decree, I am incompetent.”

Margaret interjected, “But you're not insane anymore! Just get them to clear it!”

Morgan paced. “Do you know when my last fit was?”

She shrugged and looked at Michael. “Your funeral!” she said, pointing at Michael. “It was the last full seizure he had. You had minor ones while in jail, if I remember correctly, but no grand ones.”

Michael looked at Morgan. “You were in jail?”

Morgan smirked. “Yes, I was. They executed me for sedition. I got life sentences for everything else, including your death.”

My death?!”

“Yes, and I finally got them to agree to charge me with practicing medicine without a license in that regard. I could not get murder to stick. Eight witnesses to your death kept saying I was innocent. I was a dead man anyway. I refused legal counsel, pled guilty to twenty different offenses, and I still got acquitted on about six charges. I actually had to lie to get myself executed. It is of no consequence now.”

Michael stood up and walked over to Morgan and asked, “Why don't you want to be declared sane?”

“For the same reason I do not recognize you as my brother anymore. I became sane when Michael died. If I am still sane, Michael is still dead. And since you don't remember me, perhaps we are both still dead.”

No comments: