February 17, 2009

Always a Lady of Worth

Margaret surprised him by meeting him at the airport when he came home. He hugged her and smiled and wondered if she'd merely been bored that day and came to see him home. She said she didn't know what motivated her to come out. While sitting next to him in the limosine, she confessed she wondered if he kept women in other places where he did business. He considered her for a minute before responding. “Do I keep other women? No, just Karen. Do I stray occasionally? Yes.”

“I always wondered why you were open with our marriage. It was just a formality for you.”

“You knew it was a formality when you agreed to it. I need a son, and am desperate enough to be lobbying for special remainder for Charles. It looks likely that it will be granted.”

“But what if my feelings have changed since?”

Michael smiled and unsuccessfully tried to muffle a laugh with his hand. “Aaaah.... I apologize, and I am sincerely sorry that my feelings haven't developed to quite the same ... depth that yours have. I do find you a charming, companionate, intelligent and lively woman and a commendable lady, but I don't ...” He stopped talking when her eyes went glassy.

He cleared his throat uncomfortably. “You've fallen in love with me?”

“You make it sound so unbelievable.”

“I have been desired for my looks, my wealth, my power, my cologne. I'm used to women and one-night-stand lust. I never thought of myself as the kind of man a lady would want on character.”

“I have never seen you not comport yourself as a gentleman. You are a tolerant and loving father, a devoted brother, an attentive husband, and a forgiving employer. And you always made me feel special. The day we met, when you looked at me, it was like you didn't expect me to be-”

“I didn't. Beautiful wasn't on my list of prerequisites.”

“Eh... you had a list?”

“Oh, yes. Intelligent, organized, educated, diplomatic, well-bred. You fit the bill. No one told me ahead of time you were an English rose.”

She smiled abashedly. “And if you'd met me the evening before would I have just been a conquest?”

“Only if you wanted to be. I don't prefer disposible women, but sometimes they offer themselves up. After Nicole and Krystie, though, I've been a lot more careful with how and whom.”

Michael took Margaret's hand in his and cozily kissed it. “I can't say I'm deeply in love with you, but I do find you pleasant company and I have no plans of replacing you.”

“I don't know if I would have seen you the same way after a fling.”

“It would have altered my view of you, too. I would have seen you as shallow or impressionable, neither of which you are.”

“Then, I guess it's a good thing I didn't speak to you the night before.”

Michael smiled, leaned forward and kissed her cheek.

No comments: